Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Back into Racing - Race 1, 2009

Well, after missing regular Saturday racing at Heffron Park since July 2005, I was back on the weekend. A little nervous to be back, but hoping for a good ride. I was given a start in C Grade - back where I left off.
As per usual at Heffron, it was windy, blowing a solid Nor'Easter, which meant a great tailwind down the main finishing straight, but also a block headwind on the back of the course.
Race Distance 28.5km, my Average Speed 34.3km/hr
(not bad given A Grade was under 38km/hr, B Grade just over 35km/hr)


I felt like I had a good race, and paced myself well. I cornered really well after the first 2 laps, which was really pleasing. I had to chase a few times when the bunch split up, but was okay to bridge across. Unfortunately, I mentally switched off with 2 to go and missed the bunch jumping on the B Grade breakaway that had just passed by - illegally of course. The pace was then a little too high for me to get across into the wind on my own. That was the only disappointing part. Still finished in the top half of the original starters, and about 45 seconds after the winner.
Good news was BTi was in my corner offering support. Not sure why he yelled out "attack Greggie, you've got 'em" after only 4 laps of 14, but I'm sure it was a tactical measure to put everyone else off. Thanks BTi. Good to see you are on the mend - as slow as it is.
BTi telling the Commissaires I've been doing heaps of miles and shouldn't be in C Grade
I hope it isn't as windy next week, to test my legs out even more. And maybe the Zipps....

2 comments:

Brett said...

Excellent Work Greg,

I'll be there to pass on sage advice again this weekend. Attack, attack and then attack some more.

langles said...

take drugs greggie