Sunday, March 1, 2009

Race 2, 2009

Race Report
Location: Heffron Park - Club Racing (Cat 4)
Grade: C Grade
Race Distance: 28.5km (14 laps)
My Average Speed: 35.7km/hr (48:00 mins)
Placing: 6th - bunch sprint
Conditions: Windy, NE, tailwind down the main finishing straight, but block headwind on the back of the course, although not as bad as previous weeks. Temperature about 27C. Sunny.

After a few weeks off due to weather (see previous blog) I was a little nervous at the start. I settled into the back of the bunch early to get the rhythm of the race.

After 3 or 4 laps a few riders were starting to feel the pinch so I moved up into the middle of the bunch so I didn't get tailed off. I gradually moved into the top 6 riders at the front of the bunch after a minor split happened on lap 6, and I wanted to make sure I was in the break if it happened and stayed away. Unfortunately, after bridging across and doing the hard work, it all came back together again about half a lap later. On laps 7 and 8 I did one big turn on the front of the bunch, for 2 full laps, stretching the field out. When the next rider attacked on lap 9, the bunch started falling apart, but I was in the lead group of 10 or so riders.

With 4 laps remaining, the attacks came thick and fast when we had the tailwind, but I didn't feel in any danger at that time. On lap 12, a young rider and myself were on the front driving the bunch, but unfortunately we couldn't get away. Coming up to the bell, the usual attacks occurred, but they were easily covered by the time we hit the headwind on the back half of the course - it was going to come down to a bunch sprint.
Exiting out of the netball courts, I found myself a little boxed in, and when the jump came, I lost about 4 bike lengths. Still, I managed to get free at the top of the straight and gave it my all chasing the leaders, even though the race was already lost. The good thing was that I was slowly catching them so my speed is slowly coming back (max speed 55km/hr). At the line I'd finished 6th and about 30-50 metres behind the winner.

This week I felt far more comfortable in the bunch than my first race. I felt I paced myself well, moved through the bunch when I had to, read the race, and cornered better than the first week which was really pleasing. It feels like everything is coming back together and now my confidence is up for next week. Maybe I'll even have a go at creating a breakaway.

1 comment:

Hamster said...

Hi Smarty, Well done on another race under your belt. Its always tough out there in the wind. keep the training going and showing up each week. Go Hard and Go Often... Make that breakaway -= I look forward to reading about Greggie off the front....

Cheers, Hamster