Wednesday, November 4, 2009

November Already

Well, it has been a really long time since my last entry, but unfortunately not much to tell. A couple of things spring to mind:

1. Bike Layoff
Since my last post, I had a lengthened layoff from the bike - work enforced. I actually had from mid April until late September without stringing more than 2 rides a fortnight together. So much for my year of racing. Well, I'm back on the bike again now, and knocked over about 800km since the resumption. Still a long way to go, but we'll get there!

2. Mates Coming & Going
Hamster
Well, the Hamster was in town last month for a fleeting 2 week visit. He managed to get 2 rides in with the boys - hopefully he will update his blog with the details shortly, and I'll post a link. The first week we headed down to Far Kurnell (don't say it too quickly) for an 80km round trip. Ham suffered, but managed to keep it mostly together. The next week we had a social ride with a Pacific Highway run and a Bobbin Head climb for a coffee at Turramurra. Both enjoyable rides, and a great catch up. We also managed a few social outings, where many a beverage was consumed - even by me!
BTi
Next BTi informed us of a 3 month transfer to Las Vegas for work. He left in late October and will return mid January next year. I think the idea is to make this a permanent position, so we could lose another of the boys overseas shortly. Lets hope not, because France 2010 beckons.
Guys, miss you heaps.

3. Track Cycling
Well, after the excitement of track cycling mentioned in my last blog entry (yeah, I know it was in May), I went out and bought myself a second-hand track bike. Nice bike, and for you folk (and you know who you are!) you will notice the bike is NOT white. Came with carbon cranks and a 50x15 and 50x16 setup on the flip-flop hub.

I had my first training session last week, and had a ball. Still a lot to learn, but looking forward to tomorrow night to give it another run. All I really need to do to this bike is get some alternative gear setups so I don't blow-up being over-geared or end up spinning-out being under-geared. Maybe a 48 chainring and a 14 cog will do the trick. Time will tell.

4. 2009 Gong Ride
Well its that time of the year again, and the Gong Ride has come and gone. About 20 riders from work participated, so a pretty good turn-out, but we are looking to build on that next year.
I left home at 5:30am, and we (myself and some guys from work) were delayed a bit at the start so we didn't get away until just after 6:30. The weather was fantastic. We had a tailwind all the way down, which is always good, and kept the temperature down enough to be pleasant. I was really happy with how I rode. 2 hours 50 minutes for the 84km journey, and considering the start was really slow with so many riders, I still rode almost as fast as last year. Its made me more determined to increase my training and get into racing again before Xmas.
Oh, nearly forgot: when I was riding along the new bridge section at Coalcliff, I glanced to my left over the ocean - which looked very inviting. To my amazement, and those around me, there were 2 humpbacks breaching and tail slapping just out to sea. Unfortunately, too far out for a photo, but it was spectacular. Awesome!





We had a fantastic barbeque at the finish and it really capped off the ride well. Everyone seemed really happy with it. I'm glad the extra effort getting this organised paid off.


I had to give a lift back to a couple of guys, so we didn't leave down there until after 2:30pm and I got home just before 5 - mental note Dave, this is still a better option as you would agree. As I said, a long day, but one I have really enjoyed.
Till next time, ciao.

No comments: