Sunday, December 13, 2009

Track Cycling

Well, as you are all aware by now, I've recently taken up track cycling. The new bike is fantastic, the set-up all but perfect for me. In some ways, I wish I could transfer the set-up over to my road bike.
In recent weeks we have been doing 70-80 lap (330m laps) of paceline work, followed by 3-4 lead-out sprints to finish off. The bigger guys are working me over a bit, but I'm finding it is pushing me along and teaching me more tactics than I could have otherwise imagined.
Tempe Velodrome - concrete track, 330m
I'm gradually learning how to handle the bike, learning to pedal far smoother than I ever have, and this is leading to a better ride on my road bike, too. I'm running a 50x15 (90inch) setup at the moment, but looking at getting a new 48 chainring in the new year so I can run from 81-96inches with my 14,15,16 cog combinations - although 96 is probably far too big for me.
Hopefully, in the new year, more riders will attend the sessions and we can get down to some racing. For the moment though, I'm content to learn and do laps learning more from those around me. For $5 a session, and pretty much one-on-one tuition, who wouldn't.
Smarty

2 comments:

langles said...

nice one Greggy. Keep it up!

Hamster said...

Great work Greggie - the track will certainly teach you how to pedal - it seems simple, just go around in circles but there more to it and its great you can feel the improvement.
Keep it up mate
Cheers, Hamster