Monday, December 29, 2008

3rd Annual Tour de Stupidity


Boxing Day 2008 - the 3rd Annual Tour de Stupidity
In late 2006, the much awaited bicycle lane of the new M7 motorway was opened. With it being so close to BTi, Dave and Mike, they insisted on riding it on Boxing Day. From start to finish, it is a little over 114km when you include the M2 motorway. In 2006, Boxing Day was a sweltering day, 36C, hot northly winds, and unknown to the boys, there were no waterstops along the way, and little shelter. Between the 3 riders they had a bidon each, and a handful of snakes to get them through. I even think one bidon had a leak just to add to the adversity. By the finish of the ride, the Tour de Stupidity had been born.

In 2008, 5 riders made the Tour. BTi, Dave, GK, John (a work colleague of Dave), and myself. We set out at the reasonable hour of 7:30am with overcast skies but quite warm and humid. No real cracking pace was set, knowing what lay ahead. As we went over the top of the Elizabeth Drive "peak" Dave and I setup a mini paceline, dropping the others. In an effort to get more speed into my legs, Dave and I kept swapping turns on the front, much to my demise in the final sprint at the turn-around. I was on the front with 200m to go, and knew full well Dave would blast on past at the end, I had a little in reserve for the prime, but not enough to kick when needed.


On the return run, I felt really good on the climb over Elizabeth Drive, and then kept it going on the downhill glide to the M4 interchange where I waited for the boys to catchup. From there, some were starting to feel the pinch. The sun was now shining brightly and the temperature started to top the 30C mark, added to the slight headwind on the return run. From the start of the M2, I was starting to feel the heat, and rather than ride at the slower tempo of the others, I rode on at my own pace. After 4 hours exactly (for me anyway), the 114km was covered. No break-neck speed, but a good outing for all.
At the finish, the cold drinks flowed all round. Dave the drain put away 2x 750mL (apologies Dr Langles - ed) milk bottles quicker than I've seen done before, and the shade of the service station was most welcome. And so ends another Tour de Stupidity. What weather will the 2009 Edition bring??

So, 2008 is rapidly coming to a close. And with that, the time for racing is almost upon me. The last 3½ months have been really productive trainingwise. Since September I've ridden 1650km on the road, 1000km on the indoor trainer (weather hasn't been great), and shed just over 5kg. While modest for most riders, it has been a hard slog at times both mentally and physically, but consistency has been the key. The weather wasn't great, but I'm thankful my neighbours put up with the indoor trainer. I'm really looking forward to getting back into racing.


The new toys before their inaugural ride on 23 Dec 08. Had plenty of problems getting the tyres on - broke 3 tyre levers in the process. Left them for a week stretching before I even dared hit the road. But they are quick!

Guess who's back??
Have a guess who snuck back home and competed in the Randwick Botany Bike Bug 500??

Yep, our favourite Cycling Journo, Jonesy! He did it pretty easy, even admitting as much after the race.

3 comments:

Hamster said...

Greggie - while it was a warm day for you in Sydney on you ride on the m7 I was rugged up with 32F (0C) temps outside. I have clocked up exactly 0km since that last 3 valley ride on the last weekend in October. Now that I say it like that it seems a long time since turning the legs over.

The bike with the new wheels looks trick - nice one. Glad it rides well too. Good luck with the training and racing.

Hamster

langles said...

That should read 2 x 750 mL ;)

Smarty said...

I stand corrected...